Fwd: Re: [sam] SAM + LDAP Backend

amith at xalan.com amith at xalan.com
Sat Apr 19 17:06:26 PDT 2003

The way SpamAssassin works usually is to

1) figure out who the mail was sent to
2) figure out their home directory
3) look for the prefs file in the home directory
4) if prefs file not found then use the global one

The nice thing about the SQL based backend for SAM prefs is that its all stored
in the database and makes it nice for administration.  You could conceivably
write a driver to support the text files, but imho that would be way too
complicated and not worth it.  its easier to throw mysql on the machine and use
that then write a text based driver for SAM due to the way that SpamAssassin
sets up its config files.

As far as ingo goes, it is like a web based frontend for filters that you
define.  Right now it only support cyrus, but its being changed to perform
general filtering for IMP.  the difference is that Ingo/Sieve was not designed
to designate SPAM from non-SPAM.  Sure you can write a filter that does a good
job, but SpamAssassin is supposed to be much more sophisticated by using rules
and Bayesain filtering (the newer versions anyway)

Amith

----- Forwarded message from garycnew at yahoo.com -----