[sork] Re: Passwd changing IMP + LDAP + POP3

Edwin Culp eculp@encontacto.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:45:08 -0700

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

 | Quoting dystopia@scholieren.com:
 |
 | > On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:32:49PM -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
 | > > I don't run ldap (yet) so that is pretty much like jibberish to me.
 | > > But I think the key is the "by self write" based on my discussions with
 | > > two other people running ldap.
 | >
 | > Yeah. I saw you currently just login using rootdn to change a
 | > userPassword but actually a user can authenticate to LDAP theirselves
 | > like they do when logging in to Horde/IMP itself.
 |
 | I like this method, and am willing to switch to it if I get enough
 | support.  With you, there are now 2 for the switch, 1 against.  So if
 | you want I can make the change now ;)

Please make that three for the switch:-)

 | > LDAP is very restrictive in this matter. Ie. only userPassword can be
 | > changed. When writing a configuration tool in PHP in which you want a
 | > user to be able to change their aliases for example, you can add these
 | > attributes in your ldap conf as well. But I don't think Horde/IMP is
 | > aimed to this, right? In the future it might be interesting as an
 | > option/plugin :)
 |
 | I don't know if this would be generally useful or not.  So I won't commit
 | to anything at this point.
 |
 | > > Yes, which sounds like a good idea.  BTW, are your passwords stored
 | clear
 | > > text or encrypted?  If encrypted, what encryption scheme are you using?
 | >
 | > I'm currently using crypt, standard scheme used by phpQLAdmin, a
 | > configuration utility for Qmail-LDAP. It supports SHA and MD5 as well
 | > for passwords longer then 8 characters, but LDAP does not support
 | > hashes. Source of this info is here:
 | > http://www.adfinis.ch/projects/phpQLAdmin/demo/doc/faq.php
 |
 | Okay.
 |
 | > When i tried your passwd addon and filled in the correct password i get
 | > this:
 | >
 | > Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mhash() in
 | > /home/www/iis/webmail/passwd/ldap.php on line 44
 |
 | Yes, the current code uses the mhash() funtion of the mcrypt php extension
 | to create the SHA hash.  This error means you don't have mcrypt enabled
 | in php.  We can remove this dependency.

I think I also had to add a --with-mhash to my compile in addition to mcrypt
but I have a --with overload sometimes.

I will be trying to help out with sork.  I can see it becoming a general
purpose source of webbased, horde admin tools.

ed