[sork] vpopmail driver for passwd

Dan Wilson dan@acucore.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:48:00 -0600

Eric,

Ok... so we got it working, but there are some serious issues.

The vpopmail extension for PHP requires very specific file permissions.
Basically, the most secure way to run the vpopmail functions are to have your
webserver running under the vpopmail user.

Of course, we couldn't do that because of other file permission issues, so we
created another instance of apache which runs under the correct user
[vpopmail] and group [vchkpw] and of course, a different port.  This instance
of apache only has access to a specific directory which contains a
file "vpopmail_passwd.php" which has one purpose.... it takes parameters
passed to it and calls the vpopmail_passwd function.

We have created a driver for the passwd module, which then calles this file,
passing the correct parameters.

We realize that this is a complete hack, but it is a solution.  Unless someone
has a better solution, this is what we can contribute to the project (along
with a serious README).

What do you think?

-Dan

PS.  We did toss around the idea of taking advantage of vpopmail's open-source
and creating a vpopmail daemon for changing passwords, etc.  Of course, that
would take much longer to implement, but we are still considering it.