[sork] unified sork?

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 00:06:38 -0500

Quoting Mike Cochrane <mike@graftonhall.co.nz>:

> I'm all for this. I'm more then happy to have changed/change ingo to suit
> this as it replaces vacations and forwards in some configs.

I'm not against this per-se, but I have no time right now.  So if anyone
wants to do this, they will have to proceed without me for the moment.
I don't mind others taking this over as long as they "do it right" (coding
standards, don't remove functionality, etc).

> I would like to see a single icon for sork and from there you have
> application
> menu icons for passwords, filters, vacation, forwards, SAM etc... what ever
> the admin enables.

Isn't this basically what the "accounts" menu does (more or less).

> And I would like to see things moved to a servers.php style config setup with
> a prefered system for drivers.

See my first comment.

> So for one domain you could have forwards and vacation and another you could
> have ingo. For one have the sql password driver and for another a ldap
> driver etc....

Okay.  Keep reading, more below...

> - Mike :-)
>
> > ----- Message from chuck@horde.org ---------
> >     Date: Sat,  7 Sep 2002 11:43:15 -0400
> >     From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
> >  Subject: [sork] unified sork?
> >       To: sork@lists.horde.org
> >
> > Eric & folks... what are the thoughts on moving HEAD development of the
> > three sork modules (excluding accounts) into an actual unified Sork module?

I think this could probably be done, with great effort, in a way that
would preserve its functionality and conceptual model.  But once again, I
have no time right now.

> > Now that things are broken out into drivers, I think it would be much less
> > messy to do it this way, and it might be simpler for people to install
> (not
> > to mention reducing icons).

I don't think installing is a real problem.  Reducing icons is though.

Wrapping so many apps into one may make installing harder for many people.
One of the ideas behind the current system though is that you only install
as much as you want/need.  Many only want the password feature, so that's
all they install.  If they are forced to install and configure all the apps
when they only want one, that can cause more work and confusion for them.
This work and confusion could be reduced if we go to the more automatted
configuration setup with the xml files.

That is, if we are going to wrap this all into one module to make it "easier
for the user" then we need to switch to the new xml/admin setup, otherwise
we will instead make it more complicated rather than less.

> > Also, there's probably some code-sharing that could be accomplished; this
> > would better accomodate things like Sieve that handle _both_ vacation and
> > forwards, etc ...

Yes.  All 4 modules in sork are based on the same code base, so there is
a lot of code sharing ;)

> > (I don't want to create a monster, but the possibility of rolling SAM and
> > Ingo into a more coherent whole might be nice, too).

No idea about SAM, but ingo could be rolled into sork if desired.

> > -chuck

Executive Summary: Sounds good, if someone else wants to volunteer to do it. ;)

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage