[sork] Problem about file .forward

Lars Hecking lhecking at nmrc.ie
Tue Dec 10 19:49:24 PST 2002

Matteo writes:
> > You mean both user and group name is matteo@oldamerika.com? I don't think
>  > this can even work. I can't back this up with hard information, but I'm
>  > pretty sure that user and group names must not contain "@" and ".".
>
> Yes, now I use matteo@oldamerika.com as user but also group, I know that it as "@" and "." but all system function at 100% less forward.
>
> I use total email becouse in my system I have much domani oldamerika.com
> styleweb.it and so I can have one user that name is matteo@oldamerika.com
> and one user that name is matteo@styleweb.it .

 Your user/group naming scheme is highly unusual, not recommended, and may
 indeed lead to unexpected behaviour. In your case, RedHat 7.3 w/ sendmail
 (8.11.6?), the problem is either sendmail or the LDA (probably procmail) -
 I can't tell which.

> If I don't use total email in user and call user only matteo when I have
> much domains that have same user as matteo I can't use it twice or three
> times and so I use all email as user.

 Basically, the design of your mail system is wrong from the start. Virtual
 domain email users (you say you have about 150 virtual domains?) are never
 authenticated through /etc/passwd, but some other database - LDAP, MySQL,
 PostgresQL, you name it - in conjuntion with a special virtual delivery
 agent.

 But that's beyond the scope of this list.