[sork] vacations - without spamming mailinglist

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 14 13:51:43 PST 2003

Quoting Lars Hecking <lhecking at nmrc.ie>:

> > vacation:
> > I should be able to define a a given period, and ofcourse a text via the
> > web interface.
>
>  A good idea, but it doesn't work with the standard vacation(1) command,
>  which doesn't allow defining a vacation period. The only way around
>  this I can see now would be to let sork store dates and vacation message
>  in a database, and set up an at job to schedule the actual creation (and
>  removal) of the .vacation and forward files.

On the todo list for horde is a job scheduler.  Once that becomes a reality
then this kind of thing might be possible.  Otherwise it is just too
non-portable to attempt across drivers.

> The problem here is
>  authentication: the user's password would have to be stored somewhere
>  (in cleartext, nevertheless) until the operations are completed.
>  Not so nice.

Well, it could store it encrypted, as long as the encryption was reversible.
Or, since you're already authenticated, it may be able to get around it
some other way without your password.  But I'm not going to do anything
like this in the near future, so it doesn't much matter right now.

> > I should be able to select, if a vacation message should only be sent
> > out once pr. sender, or just for every email - no matter if it's the
> > same sender address (I do this with procmail today).
>
>  There is no way to do this with the standard vacation(1) command.

Not exactly, but the -t option is very close.  I've put it on the todo list.

> > Is this also what you are hoping will come out of the vacation (and
> > perhaps other) module(s)?
>
>  Only if sork came with its own mail filtering system.

Or is someday integrated into (or replaced by) ingo or some other module.