[sork] passwd module and poppassd driver errors

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 30 21:16:28 PST 2003

Quoting René Lund Jensen <lundeman at tbkol.dk>:

> >>The downside with solution like this is that we lose the translated
> >>message.
> >

> > The solution is to include both.
>
> .. or to just log the actual error to the administrator.

Too many administrators either don't watch the logs, or don't watch
them in a timely fashion.  We could log it for the admin, but I'd
want to show it to the user also.  The message is often meaningful to
the user, while I admit it isn't always.

> I don't know if this is preferable or not,

No, but it might be an additional option.

> but the error may be a bit technical for most users.

Or, as previously noted, in the wrong language.  But probably not.
I'd rather the user be confused from too much info then confused
from getting too little information.