[sork] Problem with upper/lower-case in user name

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 7 11:41:58 PST 2003

Quoting Jesper Holck <jesper.holck at ibsgaarden.dk>:

> I experienced a rather puzzling problem with the
> forward-module.

This isn't so puzzling and has been covered before on the Horde/IMP lists.

> A user with username "smith" logged
> successfully into Horde Imp using the username "Smith"
> and the correct password.

Then your IMAP server (like mine) is broken.  You can either:

* educate your users (good luck!)
* switch to a non-broken imap server (often not practicle)
* switch to a broken ftp server (please don't)
* live with these types of problems (please don't)
* write a hook to convert all the usernames to the correct case (best idea)

> However, when the forward module tried to create
> the .forward file in the user's home directory
> (using ftp), it failed. Apparently because ftp
> cares about upper/lower-case in usernames, while
> Horde does not.

Horde very much cares.  It is your imap server that doesn't care.
(Okay, I'm assuming you use imap/IMP authentication.  If not, then
it is what ever you use for authentication which is broken).

> So my suggestion is that Imp and Sork are consistent
> in this respect.

No, your imap server and your ftp server are inconsistent in this respect.

> Either both should care about
> upper/lower-case (which would prevent the user
> from logging in, using the "wrong" username Smith)
> or both should not care (allowing the user to
> create the .forward file).

They both care about case.  As does your ftp server.  It is (I assume)
your imap server that doesn't.

> Thank you for all the effort put into these very
> useful programs.

Welcome.  Best solution is to write a hook for your login that converts
usernames as needed (assuming user education is not possible, which it
usually isn't except in very small, stable user bases).