[sork] Re: expect and passwd

René Lund Jensen lundeman at tbkol.dk
Thu Feb 20 11:45:03 PST 2003

lody at great2cu.net wrote:
> Thanks, this will help a lot. I will have some time this evening to debug.
>
> The reason I don't use the smbpasswd backend is that it only changes the samba
> password and not the system password required for mail.
>
> (or is there a combination possible?)
>
> Thanks again for your quick responses,
>
> Lody

There is two possibilities here:

1) New versions of samba can be set up to change the system/unix
password via a password chat whenever a user changes his samba password.

2) Install PAM_SMB. You can only use this if all your applications use
pam authentication. What it does is to tell PAM to authenticate users
against samba, before testing against the unix system.
This way you only need an admin person with login rights to your
linux/unix box. the rest of the users just need a samba password.
(samba requires that they are users on the box, but you don't need to
set a unix/linux password for them, and you can set their login promt to
/bin/false)

I use PAM_SMB as I want my users to be able to print via samba, but I
don't wanna keep the two password systems in sync.

René Jensen