[sork] set forwarding via scp?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 24 18:29:08 PDT 2003

Quoting Markus Krause <krause at biochem.mpg.de>:

> due to strict security demands i am not allowed to pass the .forwards
> via ftp (through the firewall), but via scp (the ssh secure copy) would
> be fine.

First, why is there are firewall between your web server and mail server?
Shouldn't both be behind the firewall?

Right now there is no stock solution.  In the future, I'd like to add ssl
enabled ftp, but since this is new in PHP 4.3.x, and many people are not
running that yet, it is low priority right now.

You could of course use an ssh or stunnel to tunnel the info between the
machines.

You might be able to modify the passwd module's expect script to do this
also...  Not a bad idea, but so far no one has stepped up to do the work.

Some people have used it as a "batch" system.  Say, for example, they
use the sql driver to make the change in sql.  Then on the mail machine
they have a cron jon that pulls the info out of sql and puts it in the
right file.  Not a great solution, but some people have done it.

Another option, which probably wouldn't work in your security enviroment,
are things like nfs/cifs/afs mounting of the disks.

> is there an option to do this or has anybody already managed this in
> another way?

No option, but above are some ideas on how to do it.

> i am not too smart in php but if someone could show me a way through
> this i would give it a try myself and of course share the code with you,
> if anyone has need of this!

See above, and let me know if you need help.  Can't help though until
you decide on how you want to proceed.