[sork] Re: [imp] Problem using vacation module

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:52:44 PDT 2003

Quoting Patrick Atlas <patrick.atlas at mg-france.fr>:

> This module is using ftp to save the file .vacation.msg

Correct.  It can use other methods, but I'm not sure that would help.

> But our ftp server is configured to chroot /home/user/www directory because,
> it's where we want the users to save their html files for their website.

Well, that's going to be a problem then ;)

> Then .vacation.msg is saved in the /home/user/www directory.
> So vacation could not use it because it is searching it in the /home/user
> directory.

Sounds reasonable.

> Can we find a way to save the .vacation.msg file in the right directory??

Well, there are some not so desirable options:

1) Un-chroot your ftp server.  Set the login to /home/user/www, but allow them
   to cd back a level.  Modify vacation to set the directory when connecting.
2) Un-chroot your ftp server, make /home/user the default location, educate the
   users...
3) Create a symlink from /home/user/.vacation* and /home/user/.forward to
   /home/user/www and see if (or configure) your programs to follow symlinks.

4) Modify your vacation program to look in /home/user/www (but what about
   .forward?  I think you can modify where sendmail looks also, etc).

5) Run a second ftp server on loopback on another port that isn't chrooted,
   and only allow the web server to connect to it, and configure vacation
   module to use that address/port.