[sork] Changing passwords in the standard way.

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 1 16:15:39 PST 2003

Quoting Raul <voss at hot.ee>:

>  I read on the Sork website, that changing password using Sork is done via
> poppassd, ldap, unix expect scripts, the unix smbpasswd command for smb/cifs
> password support, servuftp, vmailmgr, vpopmail, or sql passwords.

Sounds about right.

> Since I'm running imap server on the same machine, as I am running Horde and
> Imp, it doesn't make any sense for me to install pop just for changing the
> passwords.

I assume you mean "poppassd" and not "pop".  While it doesn't make sense,
it is the "normal" way to do it.

> Is there a way to make Sork use either Imap-ssl or local passwd program
> backend instead?

I don't know anything about using "imap-ssl" to change passwords.  You could
re-write the expect script to do a local password change without too much
trouble, but you would have to probably use sudo or similar to do so.

You see, the script will run under the web server account.  The web server
account won't have permissions to play with the user's password or files
and so on.  That is why we go through the trouble in all the sork modules
of logging in again (via ftp, smb, poppassd, etc) as the actual user.

So, there is a purpose to the madness.  Sork always uses a remote process
so it can login as the desired user.  Otherwise it won't have proper
permissions.

The only possible exceptions to this is if you have an imap server that
can do things (quotas, passwords, etc) and php has native support for the
imap calls, in which case it could be done natively.  The instances of
non-beta code like this is *very* limited (quotas is about all I know of;
the other vpopmail stuff is all beta/undocumented).