[sork] Vacation Module + from address from default identity

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:04:38 PST 2003

Quoting stephen.agar at usm.edu:

> This may be a ridiculous request, but I would like to modify the vacation
> package to use a from address that isnt just username at server. I've found that
> if you specify "From: blah at blah" in the Body of your vacation msg, then it

This isn't ridiculous at all.  It is a good idea, though I'd like to see it
as a config item or preference so the system admin can disable it if they
want.

> so it would use the from_addr that is stored in their default identity
> profile.

Fine as long as it is conditional so the admin can disable it.

> I have seen this function used in imp under identities, and have found that
> value(from_addr) in the mysql database. I am NOT a PHP programmer, so could
> anyone tell me what i would have to include to make this work, or why this
> couldn't work, or security issues..or anything. Like I say, it may not even
> be possible.

Should be okay to do.  I'm not sure if this creates a dependency on IMP or
not (are the identities in the IMP or Horde scope?).  If it is in the horde
scope then it is pretty trivial.  If it is in the IMP scope, then we'd have
to think about how to do this so that if IMP isn't installed it still works
without problem, etc.

I don't have time right now to help, but I think someone will probably be
willing to help you out.  (I'll chip in a few morsals of help and words
of encouragement at least).