[sork] Passwd w/ shadow files

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 15 16:29:38 PDT 2004

Quoting Ryan Burton <ryan at 602global.com>:

> I was wondering if anyone has got the passwd module working with regular
> shadow files?

Depends on what you mean by regular shadow files, and what you mean by
working.

> I have horde setup on a hosted server running cpanel, and
> the way its setup is the usernames and passwords are stored in my home
> directory, in ~/etc/domainname/shadow.

That isn't exactly a normal, shadow file.

> So depending on which domain a
> user is logged into, there would be a different subfolder.  I don't know
> much about programming, so don't think I would be able to make the
> modifications to passwd myself.

How do you normally change their passwords in this setup?

> So if anyone has any information that
> may be useful, or can provide any help, I would be extremely grateful.
> Thank you.
>
> Ryan.

Need to know more, like you you normally manage the passwords.
With that knowledge, we may be able to propose a solution based on
an existing driver like poppassd (modified?) or the expect driver,
or maybe even write a new driver for your setup.

I know nothing about cpanel.  It sounds like a gui of some sort?  But
I'd bet there is some command line program or binary it uses to manage
the passwords.  If you can find that out, and how to use it from the
command line, lots of options open up.