[sork] Stale Vacation Development on Horde 3.X framework?? Fork needed??

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon May 23 20:23:36 PDT 2005

Quoting Edgar Martinez <emartinez at crockettint.com>:

> So it's closing on 1 year I think since horde went to the 3.x

No, not even 6 months yet.  It came out at roughly Christmas 2004 I think.

> and vacation
> is STILL on old 2.x framework with the latest release again only for the 2.x
> framework...

True.  There is no Horde 3.x release yet.

> unless I got something wrong here, is there no support to any
> vacation auto-responders thru horde unless you use the older version??

Depends on what you mean by support.  There is no released version. But
we do "support" the CVS HEAD version as best we can.  It may not be
released, and we've not fully tested it with Horde 3.x and PHP 5.  But
lots of people are using it with Horde 3.x without any reported problems.

> Why
> has this not been moved into 3.x

Well, long ago I took over passwd, then wrote the other modules, and
for a long time I maintained them.  Now, I simply have no time to
maintain them.  So far, no one else has stepped up to take on the
responsibility of the project.

That doesn't mean they are being ignored.  The Horde Core team has been
doing a great job at applying submitted patches and so on, which I really
appreciate.  They just haven't had time yet to build a release.

> or for that matter can we safely assume
> that it is an impossibility due to poor design and needs to be rebuilt??

No, it's mostly ready to go.  It needs to be verified with Horde 3.x if
possible (though from all reports it works fine).  It should  be verified
with PHP 5 also (I have no reports of that at all). Then someone just needs
to do the release legwork (web page update, announcements to the mailing
list and other web sites, build the release, etc).

> Should I just start building a replacement since this appears to be stale
> and will never move past the 2.x framework?? Are there any other options?

It isn't stale.  There are lots of modules which have not yet been released
for Horde 3.x.  Just not enough people/time to get it all done yet.

Some of the functionality is going away soon.  Accounts will probably go
away as they made it a Horde block recently.  Vacation and Forwards may
eventually go away if Ingo takes over their job well enough.  But passwd
will likely remain (though become more integrated with Horde) since there
is no replacement as of yet.

Basically, we're just short of volunteers to push out new sork
releases.  That's all.