[sork] Fwd: Re: Passwd support for expect/ssh

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 22 11:08:46 PDT 2005

Quoting Steve Vickroy <Steve at vickroy.info>:

>   I was able to remove the DISPLAY environment variable through the
> envvars file of apache. I also added the -x parameter to ssh.
> However, things are basically the same without the 10.1.  I also
> disabled X11 forwarding on sshd.  There is X11 running on 0.0.  I
> could try that in envvars.
>
>   In other words it says "cannot open display" instead of "cannot
> open display :10.0"

Did you setup for example a public key login, or are you using password
logins?

If using public key login, it should work.  If using password logins, it
may still be running ssh_askpass or similar.  Also, if you login account
has any X11 applications in startup files (.login, .profile, .bashrc,
.xsession, etc) then it could cause this problem also.