[sork] Passwd 3.0b Expect Script Failing Silently

Shane Liesegang shane at techie.net
Tue Aug 23 20:38:02 PDT 2005

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> You are using the ssh connection with expect, but you didn't set it up
> properly before hand, so it is failing.  You will need to either log in
> as the web server user and establish a proper ssh connection by hand so
> you can answer all the prompts, or reduce your ssh client security so it
> doesn't prompt you when the key isn't know and so on.  Obviously I'd
> recommend the first.

Hm. I thought that had been the problem. I logged in as the www user (who
Apache runs as), SSHed to localhost successfully, and cached the
key.

Could this be something related to the fact that it's not throwing an
error?

On the alternate side, the www user does have permission to run certain
blessed scripts with root permissions, so perhaps making a script for
Passwd to run would be an alternate course of action. A bit of a security
issue, though...

Any other thoughts on debugging? Thanks for the quick reply!

     - SJML