[sork] Vacation

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 27 08:29:07 PDT 2005

Quoting Juan Stiller <juanstiller at yahoo.com.ar>:

> I downloaded the vacation source, compiled it, but now
> im having this problem.
>
> if i run vacation -I jsmith, on /home/jsmith i only
> get .vacation.db if i run vacation like mans said

Sounds about right.  Are you expecting more (like the .msg file?) or
is there no real problem here?  This all sounds normal so far.

> whithout arguments it opens vi with a pre setted text
> that i can custom with no problem, the real problem is
> that the .msg is created on /root not on /home/jsmith.

I assume you are running this as jsmith, and not as root, when this happens?
If so, there is a problem as you have /root writable by everyone.  If you
are running this as root, then indeed it is putting the message in the
correct place (root's login directory).

> For a security reason i have on every pop account
> /bin/false so the cant use bash commands. so i use

That shouldn't matter much as far as sork is concerned, unless you are
using say the ftp backend in which case you would need to allow the
ftp to allow that shell.

> vacation user and again i custom the message but when
> i write it  it doesnt create it nor in /root nor in
> /home/jsmith.

What user are you running the command as?  And if you are running sork,
you don't need to create these files anyway as sork's modules do all this
without using vacation.

> Another question is, i have /home/jsmith
> chmoded as 770 and chowned like jsmith:apache, and
> vacation binary has chown root:root and chmod 700 is
> this ok??

770 should work on the home directory, AFAIK.  The vacation binary is only
of concern to your mail server software (sendmail, procmail, postfix, etc)
and not to sork.  So if the permissions on the vacation binary is correct or
not is up to your mail MTA, not sork or vacation.

> So why isnt vacation working, im really driving crazy
> with this.

You need to provide more details,  in particular what user you are logged in
as when you run the command, and why you want to run it by hand anyway if
your goal is to use sork (maybe you goal isn't to use sork?).