[sork] Passwd H3 3.0 and Poppassd-Ceti 1.8.5-r1

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 2 10:28:24 PST 2005

Quoting Anthony Pelaez <anthony.pelaez at clinistar.com>:

> Can anyone help me with a problem I am having?

No way to tell, but we can try ;)

> 7. I can't telnet to the localhost 106.
>
> # telnet localhost 106
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> Exit 1

You can connect, so it probably isn't a firewall, so it is probably
tcp_wrappers?

> 8. The log file says after the telnet session:
>
> Oct 28 09:04:23 [xinetd] FAIL: poppassd address from=127.0.0.1
> <http://127.0.0.1>
> Oct 28 09:04:23 [xinetd] START: poppassd pid=8028 from=127.0.0.1
> <http://127.0.0.1>
> Oct 28 09:04:23 [xinetd] EXIT: poppassd pid=8028 duration=0(sec)

Strange that doesn't show a tcp_wrappers failure though.

Make sure you have an appropriate entry for "poppassd" in your tcp_wrappers
setup (in /etc/hosts.allow usually).

> 9. If I run Horde-Passwd I get the errors:
>
> Username: test
> Old password: xxxxxx
> New password: xxxxxxx
> Confirm new password: xxxxxxx
> Change password on: Example Poppassd Server

That is very bad that it claims to have success when it clearly is
failing.  That is a bug in the code, probably not checking the return
status of some calls.

> Notice: fputs(): send of 13 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe in
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/horde/passwd/lib/Driver/poppassd.php on line 85

This is fairly normal since the connection isn't working.  The only problem
here is that it isn't being detected as a failure.

> I would appreciate any help.

What is in your /etc/hosts.allow file concerning poppassd?  If nothing,
then try adding something like:

poppassd : all : allow