[sork] Vacation and .forward

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 13 12:20:07 PST 2006

Quoting Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.to>:

> I solved the problem by switching to a .procmailrc file, leaving the
> .forward file to be used by SORK vacation only. However, if I use
> vacation, I'd rather not have it send notices to all the mailing lists
> that I'm a member of.

This is really an issue of the system-level vacation program you use.  It
_should_ be smart enough to identify most mailing lists and not reply to
them. Even if it isn't, it should _at least_ be smart enough to only send
one reply per time period (day, week, etc) so that you at least won't
flood the mailing lists.

If your system's vacation program isn't that smart, then you need to find
a smarter one.

> Is there a way to configue all of this so that SORK vacation only sends
> its automatic responses to the email messages that end up in my inbox?

I don't know of any way to do that.  I guess the problem is your system
runs procmail after it processes forwards.  I don't know how one would
swap that order...

It seems these are more system/OS/MTA issues than sork issues...

> TIA,
>
> Jaap

Go Longhorns!