[sork] [imp] problem with change password with mysql & backends

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 21 08:04:59 PDT 2006

Quoting Ernesto Garcia <otsenre76 at yahoo.com>:

>   When I try to change the password, the application display
> "Incorrect Password".   I´m not a professional programmer but I
> understook a little bit the logical steps:

Sometimes this might be a misreported problem, where the problem is the
username.  There are two choices: changing the password with just the
username, or changing it with the full username+domain (e.g. for me it
would be eric.rostetter versus eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu).

You might be able to enable verbose logging on the sql end to see if
this (or something else) is the problem.

>   -  Password module use backends.php and then trough it  try to
> connect to Mysql database ( with the sql driver configuration),
> which is working, because I did some test and I got a successful
> connection and I saw when the application connect and generate
> queries.

Have you tried setting the show_encryption option in backends.php?
You'll need to set the "encryption" value correctly to, and I don't
use mysql so I can't really help there...  Basically, just double
check all the settings, enable verbose sql server logging, etc.

>   - After that the application must be compare both passwords (sql
> and password entered on the password form) but I don´t understand
> why the application not recognize the encrypted string.  It sounds
> like the crypt string on mysql database is to different at the crypt
>  string which is produce for the application code.

The code produces the type of encryption you configure it to produce.
So if they don't match, it is likely you didn't configure it correctly.

> I used php  crypt() function for  encrypt password when I create a
> users, and I  didn´t get any trouble when my user going to login in
> the first  time, even when they use a email client (Outlook).

I have no idea what type of encryption "crypt()" uses, as I don't use
mysql.

>     I saw and checked several messages on the horde and imp list,
> but no one told me what was the way that they used to fix that
> problem.

You should post this to the sork list, and search the sork mailing list
archives for answers.

>   Thanks for your help, and Sorry for my English.

Go Longhorns!