[sork] Trouble with passwd and poppassd driver

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 29 13:58:16 PDT 2006

Quoting David Anagnostaras <david.anagnostaras at epfl.ch>:

> I tried and it doesn't work..

You tried what?

> But I am not able to find what is wrong... I don't know where to look.

Since I didn't configure your machine, nor can I.  Look at your log files
in /var/log while you try to change your password.  I'd start looking at
/var/log/secure, then /var/log/messages.  My poppassd logs to
/var/log/poppassd; if you version also logs there, then that is certainly
a place to start.  But since I know nothing about your version (I don't
use gentoo) I can't help much.  _You_ should research this, not me.
If you need help, ask on a gentoo list.  If they distribute the poppassd
software, they should support it, and be able to tell you where it logs
to, etc.

If you can find anything in the logs, then you need to debug why.  Could be
a firewall, tcp wrappers, daemon not running, username format is wrong, etc.

First step is to log in to your horde machine and try to connect to your
poppassd server by hand using telnet.  If it is on localhost, try:

$ telnet localhost 106

If it isn't on localhost, then put the host name/address instead of localhost.

If you can't connect, then you need to find out why (deamon not running,
firewall, etc).  If you can connect, try to manuall change a password:

$ telnet localhost 106
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 poppassd hello, who are you?
user myusername
200 your password please.
pass myoldpassword
200 your new password please.
newpass mynewpassword
200 password changed.
$

If the above fails, then try using "username at domain" instead of "username"
to see if that helps.

> As I am on gentoo I install poppassd with emerge.. so I don't
> anderstantd where do I missed something..

Apparently you don't have much a clue on system administration, or how
to efficiently ask for help.  Sorry, but you need to provide details
when asking for help.  "It doesn't work, why not?" doesn't get much
response...

> You have an idea?

Yes.  See above.  Try what I've said above, and report back.

> David

Go Longhorns!