[sork] Password field format and value in MySQL

Bruno Costacurta techie at costacurta.org
Mon Oct 26 21:37:45 UTC 2009

Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Bruno Costacurta <techie at costacurta.org>:
>
>> For Dovecot authentication, the fields password contain the
>> encryption, so values are ie:
>>
>> '{PLAIN}mypassword'
>> '{MD5}$1$D4CKVAeL...etc...'
>
> You mean there are mixed encryption methods in the database?

Yes.
As stated in the Dovecot wiki :
'The password can be in any format that Dovecot supports, but you need
to tell the format to Dovecot because it won't try to guess it (...)
you'll need to prefix each password with "{<scheme>}", for example
"{PLAIN}plaintext-password" or
"{PLAIN-MD5}1a1dc91c907325c69271ddf0c944bc72".'

In fact the Dovecot configuration is used to specify the default
encryption method.

>> This work fine for Dovecot but it seems not for Sork.
>
> AFAIK, sork will not support mixed encryption.  All passwords would have
> to be in the same format.

So I suppose Sork does'nt support the prefix scheme, and both Dovecot
and Sork need to be configured to the same encryption method.

>> As Dovecot and Sork share the same table, how does Sork knows which
>> encryption / decrypion to be use ?
>
> It is configured in backends.php.  If you have a single encryption, you
> can configure it there.  If you have mixed encryptions, you would need
> to modify sork to auto-detect the password based on the prefix, and handle
> it accordingly.

I'll try first to keep it simple by using a unique encryption method
for both Dovecot and Sork.