[sork] Vacation config problems

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 29 14:04:02 UTC 2009

Quoting David Valin <david.valin at indo.es>:

> I would like to know how to setup vacation on rhel5 + postfix (using passwd
> local users) + horde + dovecot imap.

You would have to use the "forwards" (aka ftp) driver.

> I find lot of tutorials using mysql databases and ftp, but for security
> reasons we do not allow local users to ftp webmail server.

You don't need to allow ftp from anywhere except the webmail server.
Since it is assumed that no one can login to the webmail server, this
creates very little security issues.

Proper setup would be that your servers (mail, webmail, nfs, whatever)
are all on the same switch, and that no login machines are on that switch.
Then you use firewall and/or tcp_wrappers and/or ftp access control to
only allow ftp into the needed machine only from the webmail machine.
For extra security, you could optionally use encrypted ftp sessions (AFAIK
the forwards driver would work with that, though I'm not 100% sure).
This creates no real security issue if setup this way...

> I need help to configure horde vacation module to use postfix with local
> users, not with sql users.

Right now, the only driver I know of is the ftp driver...
A local file driver would be nice, but no one has created one, since most
people don't run horde/webmail on a server with access to the user's file
systems.

> Also the same proble to configure forwards.

Same story.

> ingo H3 (1.2.2)

Ingo can do vacation messages, so you might look into that instead of
the vacations module.  You might find its vfs driver useful...

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.