[sork] sasldb2 password change

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Wed Mar 7 16:59:10 UTC 2012

Hello list,

I am running a mail server with Linux, Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP.
Mail passwords are stored in a SASL2 DB so that mail accounts do
not give shell access to the server.

Recently I switched from Squirrelmail to Horde Webmail as web
frontend. Now I am missing a way to allow users of that server
to change their mail passwords like I could with Squirrelmail's
chg_sasl_passwd plugin.

According to http://www.horde.org/apps/passwd, the Passwd
application "provides fairly complete support for changing passwords
via Poppassd, LDAP, Unix expect scripts, the Unix smbpasswd command
for SMB/CIFS passwords, Kolab, ADSI, Pine, Serv-U FTP, VMailMgr,
vpopmail, and SQL passwords", but none of these seems to fit the
bill. The most promising candidate, "expect", seems to require that
mail users can also login via telnet or ssh.

In July 2003, Kash Badami posted a "sasldb passwd change driver" on
the horde-dev mailing list, announcing to "provide an update shortly",
but it seems that project didn't go anywhere. Also it required to
give the Apache runtime user the right to "sudo saslpasswd2" which
made me somewhat uneasy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tilman