[conduit] Where's the source?

Marcus I. Ryan marcus at horde.org
Tue Jul 8 08:39:42 PDT 2003

I apologize for not chiming in sooner (like a month ago :) )

HordeConduit is, at the moment, just a test module I wrote to learn
how to do many things I didn't know before - how to write a conduit,
use XML-RPC, etc.  However, what we really need to do is get Horde to
support SyncML instead of using XML-RPC.  This will allow many
devices and conduits to be written without having to change the Horde
codebase significantly.

The first thing we need is a SyncML library in Horde that will parse
SyncML messages.  There is reference code available in C from the IBM
website, though cheating and using google I found it here:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/sf/subcat/tool/syncml-ctoolkit/

I don't know how easily we can translate the reference code to PHP,
and if it can be done in a better way - I haven't had time to look at
it - but it at least seems like a logical starting point.

To support syncing of calendar, todo, etc., we need to support ical,
vCard, etc., as that is the default encoding for SyncML for these
types of data.  We have at least a good start on these in Horde
already so I would think it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Once these are implemented I can easily (I hope) write the windows
conduit for Palm and others, while anyone else that wants to can
easily write coldsync conduits, etc.  The top priority is to get
Horde to support SyncML.

Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of time anymore that I need to
concentrate on this to learn and understand enough new concepts to
implement this myself, so help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Marcus I. Ryan, marcus at horde.org
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
 flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
                 -- Matt Groening