[sync] Re: [dev] What should we do about GUIDs changing?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Mar 1 20:30:38 PST 2004

> So, any ideas on a better way to do this? Should we add an extra
> field for it to all our data stores? I'd rather not, where we can
> avoid it.

To update this: Nag, Mnemo, and Kronolith now generate 32-character item ids,
and the GUID doesn't include the sharename. All of them are able, at
least with
the primary backends, to get an item based simply on the GUID (i.e, the
sharename isn't necessary).

> Though, it occurs to me that the way the code is written, we delete
> and recreate the task when we move it between tasklists, so that'd
> have to be fixed too.

Kronolith, Nag, and Mnemo also all now use a move() method to move
items between
shares so that the GUID isn't changed. This means that you could sync a task
from your PDA to your default tasklist, edit it through Horde to include more
information and save it to a shared tasklist, and have the changes sync
back to
your PDA with no problems, no link being broken, etc. Pretty nifty,
when we get
there.

The app I haven't touched is Turba, since it's a bit of a different
beast. We'll
get to that one when we get there. I'd *really* like some help with Turba and
the things that are necessary for syncing, if anyone's interested.

-chuck