[sync] Fwd: Horde PalmOS Sync

Marcus I. Ryan marcus at horde.org
Wed Apr 7 07:27:03 PDT 2004

I haven't worked on the conduit for quite a while.  Though I've considered
finishing the conduit work yet, we have been in the process of implementing
SyncML for Horde, and that would be the way I would like to take the conduit.
 That said, we would love help and support in whatever form you can
contribute.  I would recommend subscribing to the Sync list for horde
(http://lists.horde.org/mailman/listinfo/sync) and continuing the discussion
there with those actively developing this.  I should be rejoining the effort
in a month or so.

Marcus I. Ryan, marcus at horde.org
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
 flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
                 -- Matt Groening

Quoting Diggy Bell <diggy at dbsoftdev.com>:

> Marcus,
>
> I have recently started looking at some of the stuff from Horde after a
client
> mentioned Hermes.  As I was digging through the rest of the site I ran
across your work
> on the PalmOS stuff.  I've recently completed a PalmOS sync solution that
uses a PHP
> server to send XML data to a conduit where the data is parsed and stored on
the Palm in
> PDBs.  It also supports retrieval of modified records from the Palm on a per
table
> basis.  The modified records are extracted and stored back in the database
on the
> server.
>
> The conduit itself is made up of several DLLs.  It's architected in such a
way that it
> will support remote upgrade of the key components (future).  It also uses an
XML rule
> set to control which databases are actually synchronized.  The server
generates the
> rules based on an association with the device identifier and the user(s)
assigned to
> the device.  The conduit processes the rules to upload changes first, the
the rules for
> downloading data.  The design also includes upgrading of software on the
device as
> well, but that support hasn't been implemented.
>
> My approach has been more of an end to end solution including the PalmOS
applications
> as well.  To support that side of things I've put together a C++ lib for
PalmOS that
> give me an MFC-like UI toolset with support for sub-classed controls and
event
> handlers.  I've also built another C++ lib to give a better view of the
PalmOS