[sync] Intro and thoughts

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Wed Apr 7 22:47:41 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck at horde.org>
To: <sync at lists.horde.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [sync] Intro and thoughts

> This all sounds quite nifty. What I'm unclear on is, how much of it is
open
> source, how much of it are you interested in integrating with Horde,
> and how do
> you see your company/your code/Horde fitting in together?

As of right now, I haven't released the code under any license.  To further
complicate things, there are three different pieces involved, the server
(PHP), the conduit (C++/Windows) and the PalmOS libraries (C++).  I hold the
copyrights on all the code except for the cURL library (libcurl) so I'm free
to release things as I see fit.

As for how the company/code/Horde fit, I honestly haven't thought about it
from that perspective.  I had originally thought about just working as a
contributor to Horde.  But I've got some marketing background and realized
that there might be some advantage to doing it from a company level.  If you
have any thoughts/ideas on that I'm open.

> -chuck

On a related note, I generated some documentation (Doxygen) this evening to
give a better idea of what I already have existing.  The server is written
in PHP so Doxygen didn't handle it all that well (skipped some classes), but
what's there is most of it.  Here's the link to hit:

http://webdev.dbsoftdev.com/doxygen/

You'll also need to use the following username/password: horde/sync

At this point I'm open to releasing the two PalmOS libraries as OSS with no
difficulty.  I've put some thought into eventually releasing the conduit and
server components as OSS as well, but haven't finalized any decision there.
At the very least, perhaps I can contribute some of the experience from my
efforts to the existing Horde sync code.  If anybody sees anything
particularly interesting about my conduit or server components, I'd be open
to discussion on releasing them OSS as well, but I'm not a rocket scientist
so I doubt there's anything radical there.  I'll leave that up to whatever
y'all might think after looking at it some more.

Cheers...

Diggy