[sync] Intro and thoughts

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Apr 18 20:06:14 PDT 2004

Quoting Diggy Bell <diggy at dbsoftdev.com>:

> As of right now, I haven't released the code under any license.  To further
> complicate things, there are three different pieces involved, the server
> (PHP), the conduit (C++/Windows) and the PalmOS libraries (C++).  I hold the
> copyrights on all the code except for the cURL library (libcurl) so I'm free
> to release things as I see fit.

Always a good thing to have flexibility. :)

> As for how the company/code/Horde fit, I honestly haven't thought about it
> from that perspective.  I had originally thought about just working as a
> contributor to Horde.  But I've got some marketing background and realized
> that there might be some advantage to doing it from a company level.  If you
> have any thoughts/ideas on that I'm open.

I don't have any brilliant ideas on the marketing side. And as much as you're
willing to work as a contributor to Horde, I encourage you! ;)
Basically, I was
trying to get a sense of what form that contribution might take and where you
were interested in this going.

> At this point I'm open to releasing the two PalmOS libraries as OSS with no
> difficulty.  I've put some thought into eventually releasing the conduit and
> server components as OSS as well, but haven't finalized any decision there.
> At the very least, perhaps I can contribute some of the experience from my
> efforts to the existing Horde sync code.  If anybody sees anything
> particularly interesting about my conduit or server components, I'd be open
> to discussion on releasing them OSS as well, but I'm not a rocket scientist
> so I doubt there's anything radical there.  I'll leave that up to whatever
> y'all might think after looking at it some more.

Anything you can contribute to the current syncing effort would be
fabulous. And
  I'm still intrigued by the idea of writing custom palm/whatever apps
for Horde
applications like Whups, along with the sync code to go with them.

-chuck