[sync] integrating SyncML into other projects

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Mon May 30 05:18:23 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm pretty busy atm. I'm moving in June and my work project is in crunch
time. So I won't be able to do very much on  syncml in the next weeks.

Just a few comments/ideas on how to integrate the code into other  projects.

The plan is to put all horde specific stuff into backend.php.

Currently there's only one possible backend class, the one for horde. It
should be split into an interface backend.php with a factory method and
an SyncMLBackend_Horde implementation. The interface consists of the
classes that are currently public in backend.php.

Functionalities of the backend are: (see comments in backend.php)

  * 1) handling of the actual data, i.e.
  *    a) add/replace/delete entries to and retrieve entries from the
  *       backend
  *    b) retrieve history to find out what entries have been changed
  * 2) managing of the map between cliend IDs and server IDs
  * 3) store information about sync anchors (timestamps) of previous
  *    successfuls sync sessions
  * 4) session handling (not yet, still to be done)
  * 5) authorisation (not yet, still to be done)
  * 6) logging

4) and 5) have not been moved into backend.php yet, still to be done.

Ultimately it should be possible to get the sync code working without
horde but only a few horde pear packages:

-iCalendar
-wbxml (I've started work on that to get rid of the external wbxml lib)
-SyncML (of course)
-??? have to check

I've been thinking about a plain sql-database backend as a reference
implementation to show how it works ensure that it really is independant
from other horde modules. But my current focus is to get it working
_with_ Horde rather than without ;-)

I'll continue as soon as I find the time.

Cheers,
   Karsten