[sync] Palm Tungsten C, Synthesis, Results, Patches, and Progress

Nathan P Sharp horde at nps.parcellsharp.net
Fri Jun 10 19:40:56 PDT 2005

I have successfully gotten two way syncing mostly working with Synthesis
on my Palm and Horde!  The executive summary is that it seems to work
pretty well for day to day normal syncs, and for the first 150 or so
objects on reloading the server.  For some reason in the latter case the
client just stops sending records and says that it completed
successfully. If anyone has any hints on why that might be, I'd love to
hear them.

The details of what I changed follow and I've attached a couple new
files and a patchset for the SyncML framework directory.  This is, of
course, in addition to the earlier patches I sent a few days ago.

8) It turns out that Synthesis won't accept VCALENDAR version 2.0
records from the server.  It returns a Format Unsupported error.  For
now, I've simply cheated and mangled the header to say 1.0.  If someone
knows off the top of their head what the differences are in the format,
or of a way to make Horde generate true v1.0 records, it would be a big
help.
9) In order to make that happen, I added a new Device entry for
Synthesis.  The problem is that Synthesis only sends the device info on
a slow or reload sync and the source URI is just a random string.  I
added code to the Final command handler to check for the device info
being blank and to request the devinf in that case.  The response is
sent as a Results packet from the client, so I also added a hash to the
State object so that on the next client packet, it knows how to route
the incoming Results information.  Lastly, I moved the existing Results
command handler up a directory and renamed it ResultsSender because it
was never meant to receive Results packets, but is just for sending
them.  I replaced the Results file with one that does the routing as
described above.

I hope that my work is helpful and can be worked into the SyncML Horde
effort.  If there is anything I can do to help test, change, or prepare
this for prime-time, please let me know.

  Nathan