[sync] SyncML: next steps

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Mon Sep 12 02:24:14 PDT 2005

Hi,

finally, my business workload is a bit reduced (At last). So I hope to
be able to invest some time into SyncML again.

After a quick scan of the mailing list archive here are some topics I'll
try to tackle:

1) performance: syncing lots of entries seems to take way more time than
reasonable, even resulting in timeouts.

2) protocol/maxlengh: currently horde ignores the max packet length
request from the client and sends everything in one packet. Should be
rectified

3) protocol/nokia auth: some (which?) nokia phones seem to be unhappy
with the message format as sent from horde. I'll try to have a look
(though I don't have any such phones at hand)

4) WBXML pure php implementation. Looking at my local CVS workspace I
recall that I did some work on that. I'll see what's finished and what
needs to be done. Maybe this even helps with 3)

5) Start work on GUI. We're going to need a gui page for conflict
resolution anyhow. I'll start with something that shows some status info
about the previous sync and allows "resetting" the timestamp to force a
complete slow-sync on the next run.

Any comments/suggestions/infos on these (and other topics) are highly
appreciated. I'll have a more detailed look at the list archive today
and check for additional stuff.

Cheers,