[sync] Questions about vcard versions and mime types

Todd Pytel tppytel at sophrosune.org
Sat Aug 5 00:28:44 PDT 2006

Hi Karsten,

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 08:41 +0200, Karsten Fourmont wrote:

> I put text/vcard back into turbas api again. I think it was removed as
> text/vcard is not the official name of the mime type. But I'm not sure.
> And having it in there certainly does no harm.
> Please give it a try (new turba/lib/api) and give some feedback if it's
> working. I'll then merge the patch into the stable branch.

Yup, works fine. Thanks for the help - that's definitely a more sensible
way to accomodate Evo than what I was doing.

On a related subject, what's the deal with First/Last names in Turba?
Looking at the turba_objects table I can see that names are stored only
as full names, rather than being split first/last. But when the names
are exported as v3.0 vcards, only the first N field is set - so John Doe
is exported as "FN:John Doe, N:Doe;;;;". This is a little clunky in Evo
(where it files as only "Doe"), but more importantly I end up losing the
first name entirely when I sync Evo to my Palm via gnome-pilot,
presumably because the Palm uses only the N and not the FN. I would
think that whatever processing Turba does to follow the "Last, First"
vs. "First Last" preference could be applied during the export to create
a more accurate vCard. But all that makes me wonder why Turba isn't
splitting up the name field in the database to begin with. I haven't
looked at the code for it, but it seems like it would be cleaner all
around to simply work with the two parts separately. Comments?

--Todd