[sync] What is the reason to keep sync map information?

Antonio Mercal amm44 at alu.um.es
Mon Sep 8 07:18:06 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

I have one question: when you go to Options->Global Options -> SyncML ->
Delete all SyncML data, all syncml anchors are deleted. But horde
doesn't delete any mapping (sync_map) information. Why? What's the point
to keep them?

I think they should be erased as well, because it makes some
inconsistencies. I give you an example:
- Client and server are already synchronized.
- User deletes an event in the client
- User deletes (by mistake) all sync at Horde Options
- User tries to sync again. Server ask for a slow sync. Client sends all
events (except one because it has been deleted)
- Server checks all events. When server check for the deleted event, it
find it in sync_map, and don't delete it because Server thinks that it
has been sended by the client
- Result: Server has events that will never sync with client, and users
doesn't trust the technology because he see that events on server and
think that IT people are incompetent :(

If mapping information would be erased, in the example the deleted event
would be sent to client, keeping totally synchronized Client and Server.

Antonio.