[sync] Problems to import vcard via syncML

Nils internationils at gmx.net
Thu Mar 12 10:55:46 UTC 2009

Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Roberto Maurizzi <roberto.maurizzi at gmail.com>:
>> Well, after updating to 3.3.3 to test, I confirm the mapping problem is
>> still the same.
>>
>> The problem is that Nokia VCARDs contains 2 extra cellphones types
>> (home and
>> work) and the 2 extra phones aren't in the SQL table (nor the mapping
>> obviously).
>>
>> This way if you use a Nokia with Horde it will sync out of the box, but
>> potentially eat your additional cell numbers.
>>
>> I'll try to see what other kind of extra fields these "fat contacts"
>> need,
>> and open a bug with I hope a description of the extra fields and default
>> mappings required to solve this.
>
> Of course you can only synchronize to fields that exist in your Turba
> address book. This has nothing to with missing mappings. Once you add
> those fields, they should be mapped fine.

Is there an option somewhere to let Turba just create the fields,
possibly with a comment which device 'reauested' the creation? I would
think that this will be one of the Eternal Standard Problems users will
face...

The usecase that I see is that people will sync many different devices
(cellphones, thunderbird, google contacts, etc.) with Turba, and expect
that to be a central repository where Nothing Gets Lost (tm). If the
child devices don't support something, they can ignore it (esp. since
they are mostly closed source or at least difficult to modify), but
Truba shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers
Nils