[sync] Problems to import vcard via syncML

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Apr 2 11:13:39 UTC 2009

Zitat von Roberto Maurizzi <roberto.maurizzi at gmail.com>:

> > > I'll try to see what other kind of extra fields these "fat contacts" need,
> > > and open a bug with I hope a description of the extra fields and default
> > > mappings required to solve this.
> >

> >   Of course you can only synchronize to fields that exist in your Turba address book. This has nothing to with missing mappings. Once you add those fields, they should be mapped fine.
>
> What is your stance (your as in the Horde dev community) as to add those fields to the standard Turba db table and sources.php.dist, so that it can work with Nokias out of the box without "obvious" data loss? This should should be simple to do and I can try.

We already have a default set of attributes that should cover most sensible groupware applications and phones. I really don\'t want to add more attributes just to cover all fields of any possible device out there. What we can provide is a correct mapping of any fields that we see in the wild to existing Turba attributes. This is the purpose of http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/6574.
If you want to actually use them, you would have to extend your Turba address book scheme yourself.

> Also, during some tests today I noticed another similar problem: in the Nokia address book you can add many entries with the same name, for example 3 "Office Phone" fields, and Turba obvously stores only the first one. I don't think this can be fixed easily without a lot of changes in the SQL Addressbook Driver (if that's the correct term :-) ) but I didn't check the code.

Since the mapping doesn\'t necessarily happen inside the adress book driver, this might not be too hard. It might even be covered by the patch in the bug above.

> This is a far less common "use case" for the phone address book however, at least in my and my users experience. I'll try to see what happens syncing to a LDAP Addressbook.
>

> Ciao,
>   Roberto

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/