[sync] Sync problem

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Sep 24 13:07:17 UTC 2010

Synthesis SyncML LITE 2.6.0 on the iPhone
horde 3.3.6 / turba 2.3.2

I've got a few hundred contacts in the Horde Address Book.

Having experimented with the Synthesis, Funambol, etc., clients, there
were some things (like contact pictures) that Synthesis seemed to be
best at handling.  Our model involves pulling data to the iPhone only;
no sync from the phone to the webmail system is involved, there seemed
to be too many quirks and gotchas with that, though I would love for
that to work too.

Okay, so, anyways, we had reached a satisfactory state of affairs for
some time, but we had finally gotten around to adding in a bunch of
new contacts.  In doing so, I noticed that some contacts would no longer
update, and upon a "Device Reload" in Synthesis, would actually disappear
completely (i.e. deleted by Synthesis and then never reloaded from the
server).

Some major putzing around later, it seemed likely that the culprit might
have been the addition of pictures to some contacts.

Following the directions at
http://wiki.horde.org/SyncMLProblemReport?referrer=SyncHowTo#

I wound up with a pile of stuff in /tmp/sync.  Over 1MB of horde.log
and half that amount in log.txt, so sanitizing them and posting them
is pretty much out of the question.  Nothing in error_log, and grep
for "error" in the other logs didn't seem to reveal any errors.

What I did do, however, was some contact grepping.  For the contacts
that made it to the phone, I was finding them in both data.txt and
also one of the server_${n}.wbxml files.  For the contacts that did
not, they were only in data.txt.  There wasn't any obvious difference,
both had

Output received from backend (text/vcard):
output converted for client (text/vcard):

sections, etc.

I'm not exactly sure where to go next.  If it's helpful to someone,
I can try creating a new user and seeing if I can devise an address
book with just one entry that fails to sync, but I was kind of hoping
for some clues as to how to analyze the information I currently have
in hand.

... JG