[sync] how to debug activesync "connection" problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Feb 21 18:13:59 UTC 2012

Quoting Stephan Lauffer <lauffer at ph-freiburg.de>:

> Hello!
>
> I try to eval and test the ActiveSync part in horde. Therefore I
> have a 4.0.13 horde environment (groupware... imp) on a
> apache2-2.2.12 with php5-5.2.14.
>
> IMHO all needed prerequirements are fulfilled - test.php looks good so far.
>
> The client ActiveSync part I would like to try with a android 2.3.6 atm.
>
> My problem right now seems to be very early in ActiveSync connection:
>
> If I try to connect with the droid it ends up in a apache ssl log...
>
>  ...TLSv1 RC4-MD5 "OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync HTTP/1.1" -
> "-" "Moto-MB526/4.5.1"
>
> (big eyes on OPTIONS)

This is an expected, and required, request.

> and for this the access log just gives me a 200:
>
>  ..."OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync HTTP/1.1" 200 -
>
> But nothing else happened. So I put in rpc.php as first cmd
>
>   system("touch /tmp/I-was-there");
>
> ...and I got the information: I never was there(!)
>
> So I played around with all redirect and alias settings from our
> wiki page but nothing helped.

rpc.php is the *very* first bit of Horde code that an ActiveSync
request would hit. If it's never reaching line 1 of rpc.php then
something is broken with your server configuration.

> If I give it a try with a browser - just to see if something general
> seems to be wrong - I can access rpc.php. The log looks different
> and now I see the well known and expected...

The difference is that this will be a GET request, not the required
initial OPTIONS request. Perhaps something is broken on your webserver
regarding OPTIONS?

> ...ssl log:
>
>   ...TLSv1 DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA256-SHA "GET /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
> HTTP/1.1" 71 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0"
>
> common:
>
>   ..."GET /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync HTTP/1.1" 500 71
>
> ...which ended in a expected 500 caused by rpc.php ("Trying to
> access the ActiveSync endpoint from a browser. Not Supported."). And
> yes now I get the "I-was-there" file touched in /tmp.
>
> I assume something mysti with the http option request. f.e. I found
> something like this
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd439384%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

No. That is describing an issue when the EAS server does not include
the required *response* headers. Our response headers are only sent
out after rpc.php processes the request. As stated above, if you are
100% sure you are never hitting rpc.php, then something is broken with
your server or configuration.

> So... does anybody know something more?
>
> Right know I can't sniff http since the droid only accepts https. Maybe

Really? What device/carrier is this? I've never seen a droid - or any
device for that matter - that would not connect to EAS over plain http
(assuming the http port is available to answer the requests).

> I need to load/unload/configure some apache further modules to get
> this problem fixed?

Not that I know of/can think of, though I'm more of a lighttpd person myself.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org