[sync] contact dates of birth are time-shifted by one day to the past when syncing from horde to mobile

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Apr 5 19:51:22 UTC 2013

Not sure what happened to my previous email - turned up blank, sending again:

Quoting "lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de" <lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de>:

> Am 05.04.2013 18:47, schrieb mrubinsk at horde.org:
>> This is a known issue with the ActiveSync protocol.  It has been
>> discussed before either on the dev list or bug tracker.  A google
>> search for something like  'contact birthday activesync issues' should
>> also turn up tons of postings related to various clients.
>>

> Thank you Mike. I found those articles before. I am not deep enough in
> the active sync thing, but to be honest, i can't see why its neccessary
> to convert birth dates between different time zones before i sync them
> with my phone. In any case, i have to get more into it. Thanks again.

..because the protocol *requires* all datetime fields to be
transmitted as UTC and the phone converts back to whatever timezone
the phone is set to use. The issue is with the protocol (or more
accurately, how 99% of clients interpret the protocol) - birthdays
occupy the entire day but the protocol is expected to transmit a full
datetime. This would be fine if both the client and the server would
agree on a specific time of day to always transmit a birthday e.g.,
12:00 UTC... but they don't so what works for one client, in one
timezone, could be broken for the rest of the world.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org