[sync] Windows Phone ActiveSync Issue - no Mailbody displayed

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu May 9 15:52:24 UTC 2013

Quoting Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>:

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>> Hi!
>>>
>>> We've a problem with a Windows Phone 7.5 device (Nokia Lumia 800)
>>> connected to Horde (5.0.4) via ActiveSync (Protocol Version 12.1).
>>> Mails transferred via initial sync are displayed correctly, Mail
>>> arriving at a later time show headers only.
>>>
>>> Unfortunatly I don't have access to the phone and we don't have
>>> another Windows phone to compare. Android and iOS are working as
>>> expected.
>>>
>>> I've found http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/12203 so it seems that I'm
>>> not the only one with that problem.
>>>

>> I would need a sync log for the device captured during the sync.
>>
>> That being said, I have test devices running WinMo 6.5, WP 7.10,
>> and WP 8.0 and they all work as expected.
>
> Just made a strange discovery:
>
> While working on getting a synclog I discovered that when you
> forward one of the mails without body to another address I
> discovered that the forwarded message contains a body.
>
> So - how is forwarding handled by horde/activesync:

This is client specific, but most clients use what is called "smart
forward" and "smart reply" - which is just a fancy way of saying that
only the new body text (the reply or forward text that the user enters
with the new email) is sent to the server, along with the message
id/folder information. The server then is responsible for fetching the
replied to/forwarded message and constructing the entire email to
send. Basically, the original body is never sent from the client to
the server anyway, so this would work regardless of if the client
received the body or not.

> If it is done by the phone itself this means that the mail is synced
> correctly to the phone is a display-problem and not a sync-problem

This is almost certainly a client/display issue. The other users who
have reported this problem have provided sync logs that show correctly
formatted wbxml being sent to the client. In other words, the client
is receiving the information but for some reason, it is not displaying
it.

Additionally, the code path for generating and sending the data to the
client is *exactly* the same for the initial sync and any subsequent
syncs.

> I'm still trying to get a synclog...

Enable the synclog on the ActiveSync tab of Horde's configuration
screen and provide a path to a web server writable directory on the
server. The log is saved named {device_unique_id}.txt in that path. If
your not sure which device is the one that is causing problems, you
can find the device's device id either in Horde's "ActiveSync Devices"
administration page or the user's "ActiveSync Device" preference.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org