[sync] Messages duplicating upon move

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Aug 26 20:11:13 UTC 2013

Quoting Ivan kouvykov <ivan at kouvykov.com>:

> When moving message from one folder to another in Outlook 2013 x64 a
> duplicate is created in destination folder.

This appears to be a bug in Outlook.  When a message is moved using
ActiveSync the following should happen:

1) Client is asked to move a message.

2) Client sends a MoveItems request.

3) Client receives MoveItems response with a success code, along with
the UID of the new item in the destination folder.

4) Client deletes item from destination folder.

5) On the next SYNC request, the client receives the ADD command for
the "new" item in the destination folder (if it is a pushed folder)
and adds the item to the folder.

What Outlook is doing (and I verified this locally), is between step 4
and 5 Outlook is also moving the message from the src to dest locally.
You can verify this by watching the sync log and immediately switching
switching Outlook to view the destination folder. The item is already
in the destination folder *before* the ADD command is sent to Outlook.

While the specs only say that the client should update the destination
folder using the ADD command in the next SYNC request, I imagine that
since the message id is returned in the MoveItems response, that if
the client chooses to display the moved email in the destination
folder immediately, it should use the message id received in the
MoveItems response to know not to add the duplicate message.

Additionally, deleting the copy of the email that Outlook moved does
not send any delete command to the activesync server, while deleting
the copy that appeared after the ADD command returned *will* send the
delete command. The is further evidence that the initial message is
put there by Outlook, not by ActiveSync and this is a violation of the
spec.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)