[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 13:55:44 UTC 2014

> Oh. You are talking about contact lists. I had misread your question
> to be about address books. ActiveSync does not support contact lists
> in personal address books. When we can do, and I've seen some other
> implementations do, is to translate the name of the contact list
> into an ActiveSync category name and dynamically add this category
> to any contact contained in the list. Not sure off hand how resource
> intensive (or how much work this would be to implement) this will be
> though.

Thank you for the explanation. That explains the personal address book
contact lists.

> Exchange Distribution lists, however, ARE supported via ActiveSync
> but only when searching the GAL. Turba *should* correctly handle
> this case.

I've put a test group in my GAL now and when I start typing in the
name in my mobile device's client I can see it searching and it finds
the list. However, it only retrieves one email address from the list
(my email address), when there are two entries in the LDAP record (me
and my test user). If I send the email anyway, only I get the test
message.

IMP still works fine, and I can manually retrieve the complete LDAP
entry using my credentials through the 'ldapsearch' CLI. I've turned
on 'detailed' logging for ActvieSync, but the log file doesn't
(apparently) show me exactly what it's getting back from the search
with respect to email addresses. I just see this:
2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O       <GAL:EmailAddress>
2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O        [70 bytes of content]
2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O       </GAL:EmailAddress>

I've tried swapping the order around in the LDAP entry (taking care
with the string-length field) but ActiveSync is still not getting the
other email address out of it.

What else can I try?

Many thanks,

Tim