[sync] ActiveSync RequireDeviceEncryption policy

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 21:17:03 UTC 2014

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
> I have not heard of, and am not able to find any mention of this
> "feature" in the official EAS documentation, so I would guess that
> either something else is going on, or the client is enforcing this
> for some unknown reason.

All I could find was people describing similar situations, but very
hit-and-miss approaches to solving it.

I've managed to solve it now (for the time being, anyway). I found a
magic order of factory resetting and account installation that seems
to be working now. My method, for the archives:
1. Reprovision device, removing RequireDeviceEncrytion policy
2. Factory reset device
3. Add account on mobile device
4. Reprovision device, adding RequireDeviceEncrytion policy

The EAS Nine client simply wouldn't even set the account up whilst
provisioning required encryption.

Tim