[sync] Active Sync

support at 4xtra.com support at 4xtra.com
Tue Sep 10 14:49:21 UTC 2019

On 07/09/2019 15:31, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting support at 4xtra.com:
>
>> I have managed to link my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S9 to my Horde
>> installation
>>
>> I have two questions:
>>
>> So far the synchronisation is almost unidirectional - events entered in
>> Horde are all downloaded to the phone and amendments thereto are
>> returned to Horde, but new events create on the phone do not appear in
>> Horde. I cannot see an option to activate this, so is it a bug, is the
>> feed only on events created in Horde or have I simply missed a setting
>> somewhere?
>
> Not sure without more information. ActiveSync is definitely
> bidirectional, and is working fine. The symptoms you describe could be
> caused by some misconfiguration possibly related to the default
> calendar / sync preferences in horde. You should also check that when
> you create the new event on your device, you are actually creating it
> under the account that is synced to Horde (this has bitten even me a
> few times on some clients).
>
> What client are you using on the phone? Are there any errors showing
> in the Horde log, or the ActiveSync log?

I have a Galaxy S9 running Android 9 (updated 29th July). I just
followed some instructions for enabling Active Sync & I was able to see
an event added in Horde straight away (the Horde setup was just the
default). I think it is the standard Google/gmail account which has
linked, although I'm using another App for the calendar (I haven't tried
contacts yet), that has flowed through & the event changes propagate
from Horde to all calendar apps  on the phone

Now you have reassured me that it should work in both directions, I
assume this is my failure to set something up on the phone - I will have
to dig deeper to see what, but at least I know now that I'm not going to
be chasing a phantom.

>> Secondly, assuming that I can synchronise news events from the phone to
>> horde, is it possible to upload historic events & contacts?
>
> Not easily or directly from the phone, no. On the phone's client you
> might be able to move existing events from your local phone account to
> the horde account one by one; or if the client allows exporting its
> event database as an iCalendar file, you could then import that into
> Horde's interface...but ActiveSync accounts are always separate
> accounts on the client.
Thanks for this - I'll have a go with iCalendar - I've downloaded an app
to the phone

>> Also I seem to have "broken" IMP, in that I am now getting "IMAP Error
>> Reported by Server" (although sending of emails works, nothing is
>> recorded in the Sent folder, therefore I appear to have mucked something
>> up, although this might also be related to my upgrade from Ubuntu 18.1
>> to 19.04 this morning. I will have to try to find a more detailed error
>> message to get to the root of this issue. No other features seem to be
>> affected.
>
> Yeah, nothing I can really suggest here without more information.  I
> assume you have enabled the imap log in imp/config/backend.local.php?

A bit puzzling this: I tried to upgrade Horde as I realised I had an old
version of IMP & now it works, but I managed to install the upgrade in a
different directory, no the one I was trying to update, so I assume that
some shared location was updated too.

many thanks for the swift response

/Chris