[turba] User expectation issues

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:06:44 -0400

Quoting "Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us>:

> 1) Its very difficult to search and draft an email to more than one person
> at a time.  For example, say I want to send an email to one user and CC
> that email to three others.  Short of either crafting a search that either
> a) returns all users or b) returns only the four users I want, this
> becomes an exercise in cut and paste.  While a) is easy to do, it
> certainly doesn't scale and the likelihood of b) isn't assured.
> Otherwise, what I get is I search for one user and compose a message to
> him.  Now, if I search for the second user and want to add him to my
> already open composition, I can't.  Instead, a new composition window
> opens up.  Ditto for search three and four.  What I would like to be able
> to do is search for user one and create a new composition email to him.
> Then, do subsequent searches which return results.  When I click on the CC
> field for each user, they would be added to the already open composition
> window.

That's really what the Expand Names feature is for. However, I've just added in
the CVS version the ability to build up a search - ie, search results aren't
thrown away as long as you keep hitting search, so you can search for multiple
people from multiple addressbooks seperately.

> 2) User's local addressbook is hard to get at.  By that, I mean there's no
> view that lists all the entries in a user's addresbook, _by default_.
> What I would like to have is a button on the top bar that says "Local
> Addresses".  When clicked, it returns all a user's local entries.  A user
> should not have to understand that to return all entries in their local
> addressbook, they need to do a null search against the local SQL database.
> Instead, their view of a local addressbook is a visible list of all the
> addresses they've entered into it.

This can be solved by the "search for * automatically" feature that was
discussed recently.

> 3) Switching back to IMP isn't easy.  Using the back button often
> generates Cache expired warnings which is no big deal to me but can panic
> some users.  For this, I actually had a solution, instead of just griping
> :)  I lifted a few lines of code from IMP and I added a registry entry in
> the menu for IMP so that there's now a mail icon there.  Why this is
> necessary is after you search, compose, and send a message, you're left
> back at the Turba search screen.  I suppose another way to do this would
> be to open Turba in another window from IMP.

This one ($conf['menu']['apps'] support) is on my todo list for all Horde apps.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.