[turba] Group support

gpreston@ycp.edu gpreston@ycp.edu
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:27:38 -0400

I'm using Turba along with my Imp installation and it works great except for one
problem.  A lot of our users would like there to be support for Groups so that
they can just select the Group name when composing an email instead of finding
every single person in their address book.  Now, we can create a group in the
Address book that looks something along the lines of:

Group1 => addy1@email.com,addy2@email.com,addy3@email.com,etc

This would seem to work, but only in theory it turns out.  When composing an
email, the user will click on the Address book and select "Group1" from the list
on the left and add it into the "To:" field.  After clicking Ok, it adds this
into the "To:" line of the email:

"Group1" <addy1@email.com,addy2@email.com,addy3@email.com,etc>

After clicking on Send when they are done composing, the following message is
returned:

There was an error sending your message: sendmail returned error code 67

The problem here is that Sendmail expects a single address to be within the < >
in the "To:" line, so it sees an invalid address and complains.  If the user
manually goes in and deletes the "Group1" < and the > at the end of the line
before sending it goes fine, but this is a bad workaround.

Some of the things we've tried to remedy this are placing <> around each
specific email address when creating the group, but that has some very bad
results, as does placing quotes around each email address.

Has anyone tried to work with this also or know of a solution to this problem?
Can we expect to see Group support in future versions of Turba?

-Gabe Preston
Junior Network Administrator
York College of Pennsylvania