[turba] Performance of turba with very large Address Book

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:11:02 -0400

Hi all,

First thing first, I would like to raise my hat to all the developper of
Horde, IMP and Turba.  These are awesome application.  Our clients love
them and it bring good business in integration and customisation.  I had
the chance to poke at the code quite a bit and I must say it is very
good; the code is clear, modular, very flexible, easy to understand and
modify.  I love it.

Now, with my problem.  I have a client that is replacing Outlook
entirely by a combination of IMP and Turba.  I had to do a few
customisation to Turba to have it match the way they used Outlook.
Among other thing, I built a system of public address book accessed thru
the sql driver.  Basically, I added additionnal address book in
turba/sources.php and a little glue.  A few of these added address book
are very large, over 2000 contacts.

The larger Address Book are very long to display when user search them
without specifying a criteria (click "Search" without writing anything
in the "Matching" test box).  It take a few minutes to display.

So I was wondering : does anybody else use very large address book with
the sql driver ?  Is your performance Ok ?  If not, do you have any tip
about making it faster ? On profiling the problem ?

Thank you all for your input.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853