[turba] groups question

eculp@encontacto.net eculp@encontacto.net
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 07:19:44 -0700

Quoting Nate Mollring <nmollring@cennecs.org>:

 | I'd like to be able to add contacts from my ldap addressbook to a group
 | created
 | in 'My AddressBook'.  Anyone else see the benefit in being able to do this?
 | As
 | it is now, I have to create the contacts in 'My Addressbook', then put them
 | in a
 | group(even though most all my contacts are in the LDAP addressbook.

I agree that it would be great.  I only use ldap and have seen that there
is an issue with contact groups and have not tried to resolve it because
I haven't had or taken the time to figure out a good solution with ldap.
I can only come up with a not so simple solution that would be very courier
centric using ldapaliases.  I will outline it here and maybe someone will
help me see something simpler.

I use the following for my personal addressbook in ldap.

dn: mail=turba@lists.horde.org,mail=eculp@encontacto.net,ou=addressbook,\
o=worldinternet.org

I visualize making a list by creating a new entry that would be something like:

dn: mail=listemail@encontacto.net,mail=eculp@encontacto.net,ou=addressbook,\
o=worldinternet.org

I would then add maildrops for all the selected members

maildrop: nmollring@cennecs.org
maildrop: eculp@encontacto.net
maildrop: whoever@whereever.com

and enable ldapaliases in courier and it should work but it is far too
limiting and I haven't taken the time to think out a more practical
solution.

ed