[turba] groups question

Nate Mollring nmollring@cennecs.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:22:13 -0500

Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:

> Quoting Nate Mollring <nmollring@cennecs.org>:
>
>  | I'd like to be able to add contacts from my ldap addressbook to a group
>  | created
>  | in 'My AddressBook'.  Anyone else see the benefit in being able to do
> this?
>  | As
>  | it is now, I have to create the contacts in 'My Addressbook', then put
> them
>  | in a
>  | group(even though most all my contacts are in the LDAP addressbook.
>
> I agree that it would be great.  I only use ldap and have seen that there
> is an issue with contact groups and have not tried to resolve it because
> I haven't had or taken the time to figure out a good solution with ldap.
> I can only come up with a not so simple solution that would be very courier
> centric using ldapaliases.  I will outline it here and maybe someone will
> help me see something simpler.
>
> I use the following for my personal addressbook in ldap.
>
> dn: mail=turba@lists.horde.org,mail=eculp@encontacto.net,ou=addressbook,\
> o=worldinternet.org
>
> I visualize making a list by creating a new entry that would be something
> like:
>
> dn: mail=listemail@encontacto.net,mail=eculp@encontacto.net,ou=addressbook,\
> o=worldinternet.org
>
> I would then add maildrops for all the selected members
>
> maildrop: nmollring@cennecs.org
> maildrop: eculp@encontacto.net
> maildrop: whoever@whereever.com
>
> and enable ldapaliases in courier and it should work but it is far too
> limiting and I haven't taken the time to think out a more practical
> solution.
>
> ed

I'm a little new to php, so I'm looking at the code and seeing how it works now,
before I could ever think up a solution.  My idea is using the existing group
system, but allowing any addressbook to added to the groups.  Maybe it would be
easier if the groups system wasn't built into the 'My Addressbook' and had it's
own set of tables?  More learning on my part is needed.
Nate